Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I/D2: Unit O - Derive the SRTs

INQUIRY ACTIVITY SUMMARY
As seen in the square, you have to cut it diagonally because that is how you can get two triangles. If they are equally bisected, they will form two 45-45-90 triangles. You get the hypotenuse by using the Pythagorean theorem (a^2+b^2=c^2). We are told that the side lengths of the square are 1. That means the side lengths of a and b of the triangle are 1 as well. You take (1)^2+(1)^2=c^2. That will give you c=radical 2; this is your hypotenuse. "n" means the variable used to find your sides. Since in a 45-45-90 degree triangle the sides corresponding to the 45 degree angles are the same, we can label them with "n." 





In the 30-60-90 triangle, I got it by bisecting an equilateral triangle down the center. Since the sides of the equilateral are equal to 1, I knew the hypotenuse was 1. The base is 1/2 since we cut the triangle in half. I then used Pythagorean theorem to find the height which gave me a=radical 3 over 2. This translates to the normal pattern because side a is n equal to n. The hypotenuse is double that. Here we see that side a (1/2) was multiplied by 2. (2)(1/2)=1; that is our hypotenuse. To find the height, we are most familiar with n radical 3. Our n in 1/2. We multiply that by radical 3. That gives us radical 3 over 2 as our height. We use n because that's the variable we are most familiar with when we first learned about triangles in geometry. In this problem the b is n, the hypotenuse is 2n and the height is n radical 3.



INQUIRY ACTIVITY REFLECTION

Something I never noticed before about special right triangles is
that they can be made from squares and triangles. After learning the unit circle, I thought special triangles were only used in that.
Being able to derive these patterns myself aids in my learning because
I now better understand my last unit as well as understand where my values come from. Before I just had to memorize the values of each side without knowing how I got them.

No comments:

Post a Comment